Saturday, June 7, 2014

5 Essential Things for Bub You Didn't Know You Needed

Having a baby can open up a whole new world of gadgets and goodies you probably never even knew existed. Shopping for baby items can certainly be fun and exciting and daunting all at the same time! While you do discover newborns actually need very little apart from food, sleep, lots of nappies, and to be near mum and dad, there are a few things I have discovered as essential things to have on hand from my journey with my own 3 children.

1. A specifically designed baby comforter. While most parents end up giving their baby a soft toy or a muslin wrap, there is a whole range of safe and specially designed comforters to give to babies. These are made from breathable fabric, are easily replaced if lost or loved to death, and they are easily washed and dried. Safe to give a baby from birth, I recommend a Cuski Baby Comforter, Save Our Sleep Comforter, or Sophie the Giraffe Comforter – the shape is designed to be safe for your baby, absorb smells well, and they are easily washed in the washing machine. They are also very affordable. When you introduce a comforter to a baby, you are also introducing a signal to sleep, which makes naptime and bedtime routines much more predictable for your child and way less stressful for you. My daughter adores her Pinkee!

2. While we all adore carrying our babies, sometimes we do need to put them down to get things done around the house. There are many types of baby rockers and swings available, and one of these is a must in my books. Do your research and pick one according to your needs. For example, do you need to move it around the house easily? Would you manage with an electric one that plugs into the wall? Do you prefer the old-fashioned bouncers? Do you require organic fabric? Whichever one you choose, your baby and you will love the convenience and comfort. Just remember to keep it on the floor at all times rather than up on a table, bench or bed.

3. One (sometimes unexpected) thing that happens with babies is that they do tend to need to be burped a lot. Along with burps comes upchucks, and there is nothing worse than it ending up all over your shoulder and down your back (especially if you are out and about and can't get changed). Did you know though, there is an alternative to putting a daggy cloth nappy over your shoulder? They are called Burp Cloths, and are one of the handiest little things you will ever come across. So easy to pop over your shoulder when burping bub, they look great, and you can even use them for lots of other things such as under bubs head in the pram or to wipe up all sorts of messes.

4. A feeding chair for babies room. I never thought I would be including this one in a list of essential baby products. For my first 2 children I didn’t have a specific feeding chair, I just fed them on the lounge in the living room. However, my Dad kindly bought me a special feeding chair for my third baby – you know the ones, they rock and have a footstool as well. I can now honestly say it has been the best thing ever! My daughter is now 2 and it has been one of the most well used things I have ever had. Night feeds have been a breeze without having to put lights on in the rest of the house, its easy to get away from the noise of other family members, and it has been lovely sitting and rocking with my feet up with my baby. We still use it to this day for a cuddle before nap time and bed time.

 5. My last essential baby product you didn’t know you needed for this article is a night light for babies room. For all 3 of my children I have had different types depending what has been on the market at the time, but whichever one you do purchase, make sure it is easy to turn on in the dark and that it is only just bright enough to feed and change baby. It is so important to teach baby day from night, and this means keeping things as quiet and dark as possible when doing night feeds and changes.

I hope this list has given you some inspiration for your list of things for baby. If your baby is yet to arrive, I wish you a beautiful birth, and if your baby has been born, congratulations on your beautiful bubba!


1 comment:

Sarah from Creating Contentment said...

I have had five babies and never brought a feeding chair. I always wanted one and looked for the perfect chair, which I could never find. I wish now that I gave up on the idea of perfection, cause they all would of been better than what I had.
I'm visiting from the Digital Parents Carnival.