Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Mammograms and Childbirth - Why the Negativity

I'm of a "certain" age now. It's that age where your doctor sends you off for the free mammogram. Which I duly went and had done last week. I'm waiting on the results, but I'm sure they will be fine.

On the morning of the mammogram, I was really nervous. Really really nervous. Because all I have ever heard is how much it hurts to have your boobs squashed in that machine. So I did NOT fancy putting myself through all that pain. Aren't you proud of me I still went and had it done.

But guess what. It really wasn't that painful. The lady that took the scans was lovely, and explained what was happening. I was in there for about 10 minutes so it was very quick. But it didn't hurt. Maybe uncomfortable, but it didn't hurt. When we had finished I told her how nervous I was because I had been told it hurt so much, and she got quite angry that the women that say things like that have a lot to answer for, because it makes some women to scared to go and get a mammogram... and what if they are the ones with cancer??? So I wanted to tell you please don't ever hesitate to get one if you haven't already - it really isn't as bad as they make out. A few minutes of your time and it could literally save your life.

This experience also got me thinking about the other issue in a women's life other women seem to take such pleasure in telling horror stories about. Childbirth. What is it with that? I know some women go through terrible experiences in childbirth (including my mum with me)... but do we really really need to make the young women in our life scared? I want to tell my daughter what an amazing experience birth is.... it is so exciting and so fulfilling and so beautiful... and you end up with this beautiful little baby at the end. Nothing else in life comes even close.

So please please ladies, re-consider your painful stories told in great detail, if a young women hasn't been through it herself, she really doesn't need that negativity in her life does she? What about the positives in every story... lets look for them instead.

2 comments:

Kylie Purtell said...

Yes, yes, yes!!!! It pisses me off so bad the way people only tell horror stories about birth and make women scared unnecessarily. Yes, things can go wrong, and yes, it's not exactly a walk in the park, but for the majority of women it's pretty straight-forward. I wonder if there were more positive stories out there, and people stopped scaring pregnant women, then perhaps there wouldn't be so many horror stories to share, because women would go in to it terrified which I am sure has an effect on the outcome of their birth.

Glad to head the mammogram wasn't too bad either, makes me feel much more relieved for when my time comes.

Your Cheeky Monkey said...

Thank you Kylie! I'm glad someone agrees with me! Monique x