Friday, January 24, 2014

Back to School with LeapReader

I really do have to admit that getting my sons to read books can be fighting an uphill battle sometimes. For me, reading is an absolute pleasure and I want all my children to feel the same way about books and reading. As my sons are going into Years 2 and 3, they are past the beginner reader age, and my daughter who is 22 months is not yet up to learn to read age.

On the other hand, the boys are completely obsessed with technology and there is no fight to ever get them to play with computers and video games! In fact it really is a constant effort to compromise about playing time.

So when a product comes along that combines technology and games with reading and learning, I am very interested to learn more. The LeapReader from LeapFrog ticks all these boxes for us... and I'm going to tell you why!



Before your child even opens the box, they are chomping at the bit to get inside and start using it. It really does look colourful and fun! I love the Interactive World Map that comes separately to the LeapReader... so much fun for kids to play with and learn at the same time.


Once set up and working you can use LeapReader to trace letters and numbers and write words stroke-by-stroke with interactive guidance as magic ink appears on special mess-free paper. On the special books, touch the LeapReader pen to any page to sound out words letter by letter, read sentences in lively character voices and play fun games that build comprehension. You can also certainly select books and activities to suit your own particular child's personality as well. For example, select a dinosaur book for your little boy, or a writing activity for your little girl who loves to trace around letters!



The only downside for me as a parent was that you can't just take it out of the box and use it.  You have to connect the Leap Reader to your computer to install the software and do any updates. For me, as a person who is not very computer savvy, this was definitely a bit of a mission and took me ages to figure it all out! But if I can do it anyone can, just keep in mind you need to do this before your child can use it so it might be a good idea to take it out and do all this before you give them the box.

Conclusion: We love LeapReader because it is easy to use for children, it combines learning with fun, and there are so many books and applications you can use it with... so you can work on an area they need help with such as writing their letters or learning cities around the world or learning to read words. Suitable for ages 4 to 8, they are also a fabulous learning aid to complement school work. I also love that while my boys are using it now, I know it will also be well-used in a couple of years by my daughter as well (and with LeapFrog you know their products are great quality and will survive being passed from child to child). You won't be disappointed with this incredible learning product for your child.


Disclaimer: I received a LeapReader to review. No payment was received for this post and any opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: