Switch this lovely peaceful view to that of a family with young children. More than likely you will see no movable objects at all within reach, there will be safety locks on pretty much every door and cupboard (and even the fridge), there are probably pen marks on the walls, and there are toys scattered around everywhere. Ok, yes, I have described my own house there if you hadn't already guessed that.
If you are currently pregnant or even just thinking about having a baby soon, there are quite a few things I would suggest to start taking into consideration if investing in furniture at any time (yes start thinking about this before you have kids not after!).
Consider the following:
- How will the piece of furniture perform with a baby or toddler around?
- Is it spindly and unstable?
- Can it tip over easily?
- Does it have sharp corners at a toddlers head height?
- Can you put child locks on it easily?
- Is it easy for a child to climb up on it?
- Is it a light colour that will show marks up easily?
- Is there fabric on it that will mark or tear easily?
- Can you put a high-chair easily up to the dining table to share the meal with the rest of the family?
This post is written in partnership with Nick Scali Furniture.