Saturday, August 24, 2013

5 Things I hate about being a Mum

I suppose that sounds terrible doesn't it.... things I hate about being a Mum.  I guess I will be shot down in flames by someone somewhere along the way.  Oh well, if anyone thinks anything in life (no matter how much you love it) is perfect, they are wrong.  While being a Mum is the best thing in the world, there are times when it is tiring, frustrating, annoying, infuriating, and the list goes on.  What are some of the things you struggle with?  I tend to struggle with....
  1. Sleep. Or should I write that in capital letters SLEEP. One of the cruelest jokes nature plays on us Mums.  While we really need maximum amounts of rest to get through each day of looking after children as well as everything else we need to do like housework, cooking and work, we usually end up doing it on about 3 hours sleep a night.  Whether due to crying babies, sick kids, nightmares, whatever, I don't know about you but there always seems to be something interrupting my beauty sleep. Consequently ending up as Cranky Mum most days.
  2. Having a baby or young toddler means when there is a family outing you either end up staying at home with the youngest of the family, or you end up being the one who has to spend all her time watching and looking after the little one, missing anything interesting and making you wish you had gone for Option A - Staying at home.  See image below for illustration.  A recent family outing to Thunderbird Park on the Gold Coast where you dig for rocks with minerals in them.  Oh yay, I got to watch my 16 month old getting her nappy filled with rocks and sand and catching her from falling down the hill because she is at that annoying toddler age where they can't even walk properly but won't hold your hand or be held.  Exhausting!!
  3. When you have more than one child you get to listen to them arguing and squabbling pretty much constantly.  I'm sorry but I have to admit it drives me absolutely bananas.  I'm pretty sure all siblings in the world carry on like this, which doesn't really make it any easier.  Someone get me some earplugs please?!
  4. Getting asked by your husband/partner "What have you done all day".  I don't know about you, but when I get that I am pretty much willing to stick something where it hurts.  It is the rudest, most insensitive thing that can be said to a Mum in my opinion.  Babies and young kids are bloody hard work, and when they are on the move it makes getting anything done 10 times longer and 10 times more difficult.  Agree?
  5. Never having any time for yourself.  This is exacerbated if you have kids at home with you full-time of course, and while we all know the younger years go very fast and before you know it they are off to school (then Uni, then moving out of home), its still nice to get some peace and quiet to either lie and read a book or have a nap (nap.... what's that?!) or go to the hairdresser or for a massage.  It's really hard when you need to rely on other people to look after you kids so you can get an opportunity to do this.



1 comment:

Think Bowtique said...

I hear you. Not to many mums like to admit it. But it's true. Sometimes it's great being a mum and sometimes I wonder what was I thinking. When their all grown up we will wish they were little again.