Wednesday, March 27, 2013

You can touch my belly, but please don't touch my baby

I'm going to go against general consensus with this post.  I'm going to say that when I have been pregnant I have never really had an issue with people touching my belly.  I personally always found it was done in a respectful, almost reverential, manner.  It is sort of a buddha effect... an automatic reach out to take joy in the new life.  They are simply sharing in your excitement.

I see the popular pregnancy t-shirts going around with the slogan on them that goes something like "Yes I'm pregnant, it's a boy/girl, and NO you can't touch my tummy".  I do understand, for some Mums it is a total invasion of personal space, but from my point of view it is a joyous touch.... not an insensitive grope or poke. 

What I do however take offense at is people touching my babies once they are out.  How do I know if they have washed their hands?  Where have they been?  Did they go to the toilet but not wash their hands with soap.  Are they coming down with a virus?  I really think it is rude and insensitive to grab a babies hands or rub them on the head.  Sure, bend down and say hello to the baby, but PLEASE don't touch other people's babies unless the Mum or Dad invites you to.   I also get annoyed at people that let their kids grab babies.  I have always taught my boys to lightly touch a baby on the foot only.  Never on the hands or head or face.

Ok, whinge over.  Just don't touch my baby ;-)




Some other posts you may enjoy reading:

10 Things to do in the First Trimester
10 Things to do in the Second Trimester
10 Things to do in the Third Trimester
Your Cheeky Monkey Review at Hip Little One
What products do you really need for your newborn baby?
Baby Gift Baskets for delivery to Pindara Hospital

7 comments:

Kelly HTandT said...

I could not agree more! I think there is nothing worse than people putting their hands on my babies! Especially when complete strangers come up and touch their faces or grab their hands. I don't know where your hands have been, get them off my baby!

Cooker and A Looker said...

We had a birthday party for the Big Sister when the Little Sister was just six days old. I put her in a sling and wore her all day - very few people asked for a nurse and I got to be the germ police. It worked beautifully! :)

Yvette @ Little Bento Blog said...

hehe I loved my baby sling for this very reason!


#TUST visiting :)

Your Cheeky Monkey said...

ahh yes slings and carriers are fantastic! Kelly.. well said, Get them off my baby hehe

Robyn de Beer (Mrs D) said...

Yep I loved my sling too - for that very reason! (I also didn't really mind having my belly touched). xx
Visiting from TUSK xx

Annaleis Topham said...

I didn't like either. But I also wasn't afraid to say your child has a cold I'd rather you didn't cuddle today but please come visit soon because I'd love you to cuddle so I can get some jobs done.

popping in via #TUST

Have a lovely Easter weekend xx

Janet Camilleri said...

Yep, I agree with you on this one.