Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Quick easy snack ideas for kids

Quite a while ago (in 2009 in actual fact) I wrote about Healthy eating for kids & I thought it was about time I continued this theme and jotted down some easy snack ideas that aren't too bad for my kids (or me).  I know life gets so busy and its really easy to grab the processed packets of food for your kids... I'm just as guilty of the next person of doing this and I'm actively working on keeping snacks simple and healthy at the moment.
  1. Popcorn.  Cheap, easy to make, kids love watching the popcorn pop, and very healthy if you don't put anything on it.
  2. Fruit.  I like to have fruit easily accessible for kids in the fridge - bananas, strawberries, a bowl of grapes snipped into little bunches, apples and pears (if your kids eat whole fruit), blueberries, etc.
  3. Crackers and cheese.  Maybe not the healthiest option but always popular with kids and miles better than chips.
  4. Try carrots and celery cut into strips with some dip.  I need to do this one more often to get them eating raw vegies!
  5. Cup of milk and milo.  This is my fall-back after school when they are starving and need to get something into their tummies quick smart!
  6. Eggs.  Boiled and cold are always popular with my boys, and are packed with nutrients which is fantastic.
  7. Yogurt.  We love those bulk tubs you get with the fruit sitting on top.  Yum.
  8. Hummus and crackers.  This is on my list to try, a friend recommended it and it was something to be honest I hadn't thought of giving my children.
  9. Home-made cakes and biscuits.  I know that these aren't healthy as such, but at least they aren't filled with chemicals and (excuse the language) crap like store-bought stuff.
  10. Dried fruit.  My kids (even the baby) love dried fruit.  Apricots, apple, peaches, you name it we love it (they are not so fussed on the freeze-dried fruit though).

What snacks do your kids like?  I'd love to hear about them and get some new ideas!





Some other food posts you might be interested in:

Super Easy Creamy Bacon & Broccoli Pasta
Mock KFC Twisters Delicious Muesli Slice Recipe  Family Friendly Chilli Con Carne Recipe 

6 comments:

Robyn de Beer (Mrs D) said...

Thanks for this list - I am always on the hunt for kids snack ideas. I have tried a home made hommus on my kiddies and they love it!! Another one I do it put dates, cocoa, dried apricots, almond meal into the blender with some honey and wizz it until it is a sticky goo - then roll into balls and roll in coconut then refrigerate. My kids LOVE them x

Alex aka WHOA MUMMA! said...

I cut up cucumbers, cheese and ham (processed I know but yummy) and the little girls make little sandwiches out of them.

Cookie cutters make watermelon interesting. We use star shapes.

Annaleis Topham said...

We had popcorn today. So nice to be able to make it yourself and know that you dont have to use all the salt or butter to make it taste good.

Annaleis - Blogs and PR Team Member

Your Cheeky Monkey said...

Thank you ladies for visiting :-)

Robyn, will definitely try your sticky goo balls, thanks!

Monique x

Yvette @ Little Bento Blog said...

Fabulous snack ideas!! Airpopped popcorn is our favourite.. and hummus with vege sticks!


#tust :)

Michelle said...

For myself Ill always go for crackers and cheese, such a simple but tasty snack :D