Thursday, August 4, 2011

DVD Review: Downton Abbey

Downton Abbey is an English Drama television series.  It is set in 1912 (just before the wars and social revolution) and follows the stories of both the aristocratic family and the staff of the beautiful manor house Downton Abbey.  The series begins with the news of the sinking of the Titanic, and the major way that affects the family and manor, setting the scene for the whole series.

Over the past week I have been unfortunate to have been struck down with the flu.  But what a great opportunity to settle in and watch some episodes of Downton Abbey!  I wasn't sure what I would think of this series, as while I love English comedy's and murder mysteries, I am not so much of a drama or soap opera girl.  But as the cover of the DVD says, I found it 'absolutely enthralling'.  Each episode goes for about an hour, and while the overall plot is continuous from episode to episode, each one has its own mini plot that you get quite engrossed in. 

There are quite a few things I enjoyed about watching this series.  First and foremost, the amazing period detail and beautiful real-life English manor the series is set in.  It is totally believable and most fascinating watching how people lived only 100 years ago.  I also like that the series is about the staff of Downton Abbey just as much as the aristocrats, and shows how intertwined their lives really are.  There is lots of well known faces in the cast, including Maggie Smith who is rather an English acting legend and brings any character she plays to life.

Final recommendation:  Mums, this one is for you to put your feet up, take an hour out of your day and watch an episode.  Take your mind off things by getting engrossed in the lives and dramas of 1912 England!

Downton Abbey Season 1 retails for $39.95 and is released today the 4th August 2011.  Rated M.



I received a copy of Downton Abbey Season One from Universal Pictures to review.  I have not been paid for this review and all opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: