Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My Top Tips for Building a Good Brand Reputation

When I started out in business with Your Cheeky Monkey in 2008, I was very firm in my belief that I wanted to have very strong branding, with a great reputation attached to the brand.  I am not professing to have a business degree, I just thought I would write about some of the things I believe, and attempt to achieve with my business and my brand. 

Ask yourself these questions:  How do others see your brand?  What do they associate it with?  Do you have a brand at all?

  1. Be the same person you are in business as in real life.  There comes a time when you need to meet colleagues and customers, and you don't want to be in a position where you know you have mis-represented yourself. 
  2. Be honest.  I don't think this one needs much explanation, do you?
  3. Always do what you say you are going to do, and follow through.  In other words, deliver on what you promise.  If you say you ship orders out within one business day, DO IT. 
  4. Beware of social media.  I have seen other business women say very negative things about others on facebook and belive me, no-one likes it or respects you for it.  While we are all human, and sometimes might have a bit of a whinge, be vary wary about attacking others in a public domain.  And it goes without saying, never ever participate in a public fight, it will make you look like an imbecile (to put it bluntly).
  5. Know you will make mistakes.  Look, no-one on this earth is perfect, and we can't please everyone all of the time.  Sometimes you will say or write something someone will dislike, and while it can be easier said than done, you need to put it behind you and move on.  Make a public apology if needed, sometimes it is quite possible to turn a negative into a good public relations exercise.
  6. Make sure you are consistent with your branding where-ever and what-ever you do.  Plaster your logo everywhere.  Your facebook page, website, blog, twitter, email signature, advertising, etc etc all need to be saying the same message with the same logo.  
  7. Love your brand, believe in it, and be passionate about it.  If you don't, why should anyone else?
  8. If you are operating a retail or service business, make customer service your number 1 priority.  Treat others as you would like to be treated.  Keep your customers informed, and again be honest in your dealings.
  9. Know word of mouth is a powerful tool.  People talk when they have a terrible experience, and people talk when they have a great experience.  As a business owner, what category do you want to fall under?
  10. If you are serious about your brand, commit to it 100%  I personally think it is better to do one thing GREAT rather than being wishy washy and always beginning new projects.  Stick to your beliefs, always be learning, and your identity and brand will shine.

3 comments:

Amanda L said...

Excellent tips Monique

Motivating Mum said...

Great tips Monique and I particularly agree with biz mums not getting involved in fights and bitchiness on social media - I am always amazed when people engage in this sort of interaction. I can't believe they are damaging themselves and their brand in this way!

Cheers! Alli x

Wanda Munoz said...

Great tips, Cheeky! And what caught my attention is the one about being honest. You may not please everyone, but you can gain their trust if you work with honesty. This is what builds the integrity of your company. Nobody would judge your stand because of the truth that lies on you.

#Wanda@<a