I love watching my boys immersed in their own little worlds when playing and using imagination. In this post I have simply had a look through our photo album and found some images of them doing exactly that. And, as a parent, if you show a little bit of interest, they are usually more than happy to explain what is going on. I'm simply amazed sometimes at the complex story lines!
So here are some things my sons have been doing in the recent past:
- Invent silly games while swimming in the pool (I remember spending literally hours in the pool playing imaginary games while growing up).
- Turn a tree in the backyard into a rocket or a pirate ship (or a princess castle if you have girls).
- One we all know and love - when cardboard boxes get more use than the things that came in them!
- Pretending to drive the truck like Daddy. Complete with sound effects!
- Simple toys like animal Finger Puppets can create opportunities for hours of creative imaginary play.
So don't feel you need to fill your child's life with structured activities, children need to be given opportunities to be 'bored' and fill those parts of their lives with the colour and fun of imagination.
“This post is part of the Teach/Learn Carnival, March’s theme is Imagination. If you would like to join in submit your own post here, or check back at the end of the month for the links to lots of great posts.”