Friday, December 17, 2010

The things they don't warn you about

There's a lot others don't tell you before you become a parent.  An awful lot.  I don't know why - maybe people don't like to sound negative?  Or maybe they just think "hehe now someone else has to go through all these things".  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.  I know everyday that the good outweighs the bad.  But to be honest (and if you are a parent I'm sure you will agree) there are some things that absolutely drive you nuts!  For example:
  • The constant loud noise.  I can't speak for girls because I don't have any, but my boys (unless they are sleeping) pretty much never shut up for 2 seconds in a row.  And its all at the loudest pitch possible.
  • The mess.  Even when I tidy the house up on kindy days, as soon as they get home they leave a magical trail of toys and rubbish behind them.  Was I like this?  I'm not sure.  Maybe my Mum was just better at getting my sister and I to clean up.
  • The never ending eating.  I feel like a feeding machine most of the time.  Breakfast, snacks, lunch, snacks, dinner, pudding, milk.  And what worries me is in 10 years time how much they will be eating when they are teenagers.  My 5 year old eats 3 weet-bix for breakfast no worries and is hungry an hour later.  Oh well maybe its time to invest in shares in Coles.
  • The amazing ability kids have to repeat something a thousand times.  When your children are babies its SO exciting when they say 'Mum' for the first time.  Now on some days I sort of feel like running away when I hear it repeated a trillion times.  You know how it goes "Mum, Mum, Mum, Mum, Mum, Mum, Mum....."  I truly believe repetition is a form of torture.
But wouldn't life be boring if all was perfect?  I love my boys along with all their idiosyncrasies, and as easy as it is to have a whinge, all is good with the world xx

3 comments:

Jodi Gibson said...

Sooo perfectly said Monique! Can relate to everything, and yes girls are noisy too!!

Tat said...

I can so relate to all of the above. And agree with Jodi, girls are no different.

Annette Piper said...

Ah yes. Its the same with girls, except the noise is at a higher pitch!