Sunday, November 14, 2010

Christmas Star Decorations

Welcome to the November Teach/Learn Blogging Carnival.

The Teach/Learn Blogging Carnival hosted by Science@home is for anyone, because we are all teachers and learners all the time. This month our theme is "Technology and Design". This is about being able to design or make something to solve a problem. Check out the links at the bottom to find some other great posts on T&D.

***

In this post I am doing a fairly easy but none the less fun craft - Christmas Stars made from ice-block sticks.  They are suitable for toddlers as well as older children to make.  I have just used what we had in the house without purchasing anything extra.

What you will need is:
  1. Ice-block or lollipop sticks - Craft shops usually have these in bulk and cheap.  You need 6 for each star
  2. Craft glue
  3. Ribbon or similar for hanging
  4. Decorations - glitter paint, sequins, jewels, etc.

Begin by gluing 2 triangles together and then let them dry (this is a good time to explore and talk about triangle shapes!)


Then glue one triangle on top of the other, each triangle the opposite way around to the other.


Then decorate as simply or as wildly as you (and the kids) like.

Some other ideas for these Christmas Stars are:
  • Use them as name place settings for the Christmas table - Don't put a hanger on, write the persons name on the straight bit, and decorate around.
  • Could also use as above on gifts.
  • Attach another ice-block stick to the bottom (no hanger) so you can stand it in a pot.
  • Attach lots along a string to make a special Christmas bunting.
This is a great craft for Christmas, simple but still effective. And a really fun introduction to technology and design!!


***

Visit Science@home to find out more about the Teach/Learn Blogging Carnival. Teach/Learn Please take the time to visit the other participants and find more Christmas themed posts on Technology and Design.

10 comments:

Amanda L said...

Hi Monique,

You have reminded me to get cracking. I have fished my paints out of storage. I have been gathering boxes, egg carton containers and the like and want to get the boys to make an outside Christmas mess so we don't have to buy to many decorations (as they are all hidden storage somewhere).
Amanda

Susie said...

oh I cant wait till chrimbo hols with the boys, love making home made decs, such fun and such a mess too.



Susie from
I Just Love That Fabric

homeage said...

Aaargh! I've just used all my icy pole sticks to store all my scrapbooking ribbons on! Although, I do still have some mini ones, and with Princess having a mini tree of her own, this may still work. If she is up for it we will give it a go later today :)

leechbabe.com said...

So much fun, we are definitely going to be making these cool stars this Christmas :)

Ramona said...

Such a great, yet simple idea! We have washed and saved loads of lolly pop sticks and you have reminded me as to what to do with them. The kids will love this activity.

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Trish.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

A lovely idea for my 4 yr old boys.

Your Cheeky Monkey said...

Thanks everyone for your comments! Sometimes the most simple things are so fun and effective aren't they!

Deb Chitwood said...

This reminds me of all the great times I had helping my children make Christmas decorations for gifts! I still put every ornament on our tree that my children made for my husband and me each year! http://LivingMontessoriNow.com

CatWay said...

What a lovely decoration for children to make.

miss carly said...

Ooh! Pretty!

{Sorry it has taken me so long to get here!}