Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Small Steps for Big Changes

Over the past few years I am ashamed to say I have not paid very much attention to my weight or fitness.  With a young family and 2 businesses it really seems to take last place on my list of priorities.  So, while I don't actually feel too unfit, the kilo's have sort of crept up with that yucky re-distribution of squishy bits to hips and tummy (a while ago I even wrote an article about Exercise and Working from Home).

Because I want to start feeling a bit better about myself I have been trying to implement some SMALL changes to my life to incorporate better foods into my diet, eat less calories, and consequently have more energy and be happier.  The main things I have successfully been doing are:
  1. Replacing all the coffee (and milk in it) I drink with green tea.  I still have 1 or 2 cups of coffee in the morning, but the rest of the day I am only having green tea.
  2. Every morning having a good women's multi-vitamin and also Evening Primrose Oil tablets. 
  3. Eating a good breakfast.  At the moment I love 'Table of Plenty' Muesli (with lots of nutritious ingredients), with a little bit of yogurt and milk.
  4. Eating fruit when hungry in-between meals.
  5. Ensuring I have a little 'Me' time each week - doing a facial or body scrub at home, going for a predicure, etc.
I suppose that doesn't sound like much, but I guess I am trying to implement the small changes gradually, otherwise it can be such a shock to the system and you end up giving up and reverting to all the old habits!

What are your 'small steps'?  Comment away, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

3 comments:

Naomi said...

love your small changes list - I am currently working on not eating after 7pm - finding it so hard as I love to eat and read/type on my computer - so far so good this week! good luck with the changes :) Naomi

Your Cheeky Monkey said...

That's a great one Naomi! Excellent idea :-) And thank you!

Amanda L said...

I am making dinners from the CSIRO cook book and walking to the shops now that I can instead of driving, though with this rain I haven't been doing a lot of walking