Sunday, May 2, 2010

I feel so much better now

In my opinion Television is one of the most controversial topics for parents. Should you, shouldn't you, how much, too violent, too inappropriate? So right now I'm going to tell you loud and proud my kids watch TV. For those that think this statement is politically incorrect :-P

I had a bad experience a few years ago. A girlfriend visited our house one Sunday afternoon (the boys were just babies at the time, and her son was about 1 I suppose). My girlfriend always had very strong views on topics like television for the under-5's, breastfeeding, and co-sleeping. The day they came to visit the TV was on with the motor racing, which my husband loves. When my friend and her family arrived I was TOLD to turn the TV off as it was "distracting" to everyone. In other words, she was afraid her son would be obsessed with the telly and not take his eyes from it. Which does happen in my opinion when you ban a child from something. It really left a bad taste in my mouth - the whole implied attitude that I was a bad Mother because I let my children be exposed to the TV. The funny thing is, after her second child was born I know the television became something of a coping mechanism for her to occupy her first born while she was busy with the second.

I am more of an "everything in moderation" type person and the telly is something I have never felt guilty about. I really don't mind it being on for parts of the day when my boys and I are home. Usually when its on they are doing something else as well like colouring or puzzles (or wrestling or trying to kill each other).

So imagine my lovely surprise seeing a post called TV Day over at the Be a Fun Mum Blog. Monday's for Kelly are 'Regroup Day' (what a terrific term) and the TV plays a big part of the day. Woohoooo! I feel so much better now xx

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Awww, I'm so glad Monique. Thanks for the mention.

Wow, I think if you are at someone's house, you should let them be what they want to be... or, um, leave. lol

And I agree, everything in moderation. I think it's better to teach children about the dangers of television (like a lot of things) rather than ban it all together.

Stephanie and Carlos said...

I am in total shock that some came to YOUR house and you to turn off YOUR television.

We watch movies more than tv in our family and we do it together usually. It's easier to manage how much "tv" they have watched. Otherwise before we know it they have been sitting there from 4 till dinner time which is no good as they go completely psycho when we turn it off.

Bubble is old enough to watch her own shows too now so there is a lot of sharing between us all for our shows. I do like my craft shows I have taped on a Saturday morning with my coffee...hehe.

ps. During school holidays we always watch less tv... unintentionally every time.

xo Steph

Marthese said...

Hi Monique...I am not a big T.V. Person myself...but I do agree That everything in moderation is the way to go...

Leah said...

I agree. I have never had a problem with letting the kids watch a bit of TV. I'm also not a big TV person myself, but there are so many educational shows on ABC2 for kids these days, and I myself remember loving watching Playschool as a kid, and love how it gives kids ideas to make things out of boxes etc. My little 4yo boy has actually shown me how to made avocado & tomato dip (from playschool). I wouldn't change a thing. Thanks for your post and link to Kelly's article.

Amanda L said...

Monique, I had the same incident from a woman who had very strong views on EVERYTHING and thought I was a second class citizen as I had not 1 but two emergency c/s when she had a natural birth and she said that her child "doesn't watch TV" as she should be learning life the real way. That was until she had no 2 which was a very challenging baby and ended up putting the TV on for 1 quite often.

Your Cheeky Monkey said...

Thanks for your feedback everyone, glad to see I am quite normal and not alone!

Wanderlust said...

Great post! I had a similar house guest once (who is no longer invited to stay with us). One day my daughter, then about 3, and her daughter, perhaps 2, were watching an episode of Dora. She walked over and turned off our TV in the middle of the cartoon and announced that her daughter had had enough TV. I walked over and turned it back on and told her my daughter was not quite finished watching, thank you. That is only one of many reasons why she was not invited back, probably the most polite I can cite!

Your Cheeky Monkey said...

hehe good on you! I have to admit in my case above I was flabbergasted and turned the TV off. In hindsight I wish I had told her its our house and if we want the motor racing (not even a kids program) on we would have it on!