Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Some school holiday activity ideas

Well its school holidays Australia wide, and that means lots of kids at home with Mum (and Dad) looking for things to do... which is all just fine except most families can't afford to be out doing expensive activities every day. An unlimited budget would certainly mean a very exciting time during school holidays.

So, having said that I thought I would post a few ideas to keep the troupes happy for the next few days.

Melissa at the Business Mums Blog has suggested you look for free school holiday programs, which I think is a fabulous idea. You could try your local council, library, school, church, or PCYC for their offerings.

I have seen some pretty cool craft kits at places like Spotlight and Bunnings. One of these would keep your child occupied for perhaps a day - encourage them to really put some effort in and make it special.

Get your kids to help plan, shop for, and then cook dinner. Getting them involved means getting them interested - depending on their age, give them as much autonomy in the process as possible.

I am a real home-body so I always love things you can do at home. Why not pack a picnic lunch to have in your garden, or get some library books out on common Australian birds and bugs and plan a nature hunt. Kids are generally fascinated with anything nature, whether it is finding a worm or spotting a beautiful bird.

My sons spend absolutely hours looking for little bugs in the garden, then putting them inside a jar to watch them.


You could also adapt my blog post on making Easter Hats to a year round activity with any sort of crafts - for example, flowers for spring or a Christmas theme at Christmas!

So, there are some of my ideas for school holiday activities - feel free to post a comment to add to the discussion! (And by the way, that's my son in his fave MooBear tee!)

1 comment:

Stephanie and Carlos said...

Woohoo check it out... the bug I mean. Since our move the kids have become very interested in all the critters in our new back yard. It's just wonderful. Great to see one of shirts out there too!!

xo Steph