Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Using Facebook

Over the past few months I have seen some very interesting things on Facebook. Actually if I'm completely honest it astounds me what some people write on a public forum. And not only on personal pages, but business fan pages as well.

I have watched with awe out and out fights, I have seen nasty accusations, I have seen personal attacks on people from others who barely know that person, I have heard of teen and pre-teen bullying and hate targeting. It truly saddens me that people feel the need to express their feelings like this in a public written form for so many others to see.

Melissa from the Business Mums Blog has written some interesting posts lately too on various subjects to do with Facebook. She writes some interesting things about 'unfanning', and people who add you as 'friends'. Certainly has made me think harder about using Facebook.

I thought in light of all I have seen lately this would be a timely reminder to just think twice before you post something negative online, whether it is on facebook or another public forum. What you write is recorded, others will see it, and it will reflect on your character (and your business too if you have one). If you have a complaint to make to someone, email or pick up the telephone. Stay polite, don't make accusations (especially if there is any chance it could be unfounded), and if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all.

Maybe it all comes back to the old adage "treat others as you would have others treat you".

5 comments:

Jill Brown said...

Couldn't agree more, Monique. For me, it is certainly a challenge sometimes knowing how much 'personal stuff' to include on Facebook so people can get to know you. Then there are others who I guess don't even second guess it and just post whatever comes up for them. Sometimes I wonder about how things are seen by employers, prospective employers and prospective clients. As you say, a good rule to go by is "treat others as you would have others treat you" and this includes EVERYONE, love 'em or not.

Julie said...

Oh, I totally agree. You have to be even more careful online as well because without body language, tone of voice etc, what you write can be more easily misinterpreted. I have recently learnt (through someone else's mistake, thankfully) to avoid sarcasm or "joking" most of the time, because what is a joke to someone may not be to another person.

Your Cheeky Monkey said...

Thanks Jill and Julie - all very valid points too - thanks heaps for adding to the discussion.

bubbachenille said...

As you may or may not know, our business has been at the brunt of a cyber bully and I just noticed another comment in a public forum aimed at one of us again. Obviously this person is clueless and cant live by the rule "if you have nothing nice to say, then dont say anything" she just cant help herself!

Amanda L said...

Hi Monique,

In this day of digital technology it is unfortunate that this kind of thing happens. However it seems an easy out for those who don't have the courage to actually say something directly to someone's face or those who are just nasty people. People who tend to do this kind of thing are often the kind of person who feels threatened or is jealous of people who have made ago and success of things in their life.