Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Nature vs. Nurture


Life with sons has been a bit of a rude shock to me. Not the baby bit, but now with my 2 sons heading towards the ages of 3 and 4. They love cars, trains, loud noises, and they laugh at burps and farts. I have been pondering the 2 schools of thought that divide the gender difference arguments. On one hand is the "nature" school where gender differences are accounted for by natural forces such as genetics. Then you have the "nurture" school where advocates say we bring up our children to like the male or female type of activities, for instance girls play with dollhouses and boys play with trucks.



I am beginning to completely support the nature version. My 2 boys have had a wide range of toys to play with and they attend a community center where I have seen the different activities encouraged. But still, they are becoming obsessed with all the "boy stuff". Which is a bit devastating because I am a "girly girl" who likes reading, sewing, and most of all the quiet.



So I am having to learn how to put car tracks together, to run around all day, and to enjoy some rough and tumble!

But I think it is true in life isn't it that things take us out of our comfort zone whether we want to or not, and it is usually for the best!

3 comments:

Susan @ Reading Upside Down said...

I think both nature and nurture have a part to play. However, I have two sons who have completely different interests and personalities, so I think that nature plays the dominant role.

My older son, now 10, loves reading, puzzles, computers, science, history, geography - basically anything where he can take in information or analyse things. He loves to draw, usually maps and diagrams. He is reasonably quiet and reserved.

My younger son, 5, loves trains above all else and being active. Loves to be outside running around, climbing, swinging, swimming and generally being active. He is a born charmer and loves to interact with people.

Both brought up in the same home by the same parents.

I have a daughter too, between the boys (8 years old). She wore hand-me downs from her brother for the first couple of years of her life, has grown up surrounded by cars, trains, books, puzzles and boy stuff and is still a very girly girl - loves sparkles, craft, drawing, soft toys etc.

Jodie said...

I have two girls and my youngest (6) has a train set & remote control car & motor bike. My husband loves it! but has not influenced her in any way. Mind you I couldn't bring myself to buy her just any train set - it's PINK!!

Annette Piper said...

Oh yes, we found the same thing - my son had a definite preference for boy toys and the girls for girl type toys.

BTW, you've been tagged! See my post at http://annettepiperjewellery.blogspot.com/2009/04/8-things-meme.html